Ships from Warehouse, Usually in 1-8 Days
Writing for the theatre and about theatre requires a diverse set of skills, but whether you're studying theatre or developing your creative craft, this book covers everything you need to know. Filled with practical advice from an award-winning playwright, with a range of resources to guide you in the craft and business of theatre writing, The Art of Writing for the Theatre provides everything you need to write like a seasoned theatre professional, including:
* how to analyze and break down a script,
* how to write various types of plays, from short plays, plays for one person, to one act and full length dramas,
* how to critique a play and a theatre production,
* how to construct and craft essays, cover letters, theatrical resumes, applications, and
* how to avoid common grammar and punctuation errors.
This thorough introduction is supplemented with exercises and new interviews with a host of internationally acclaimed playwrights, lyricists, and critics, including Lyn Gardner, Kia Corthron, Ismail Khalidi, Marsha Norman, and David Zippel, among many others. Accompanying online resources include playwriting and script analysis worksheets and exercises, an example of a playwriting resume, and critical points to consider on playwriting, design, acting, directing and choreography.